Data security awareness training for employees is a tool used by IT and security professionals to lessen and prevent user risk. These programs are designed to help users and employees understand how they may help prevent information security breaches. Effective security awareness training teaches employees how to maintain good cyber hygiene, understand the security risks associated with their activity, and identify cyberattacks they may encounter online or over email. In this article, tapchiai.net will discuss what is data security awareness training for employees?
Why data security awareness training for employees?
More than 90% of security breaches, according to research, involve human mistake. Security awareness training reduces risk, avoiding the loss of PII, intellectual property, money, or brand reputation. The cybersecurity errors that staff members might commit when using email, the internet, and in the real world—like tailgating or incorrect document disposal—are covered by an effective awareness training program.
Use phishing tests to increase security awareness
Building a test campaign for phishing emails is straightforward on the Mimecast Awareness Training platform. In less than 10 minutes, you can be ready to give your users a phishing template:
- Use our realistic single-page and multi-page templates, which cover everything from fake news and password resets brought on by unwanted logins to phony promotions and package tracking, or real-world de-weaponized attacks.
- As soon as you can, alter your phishing content and landing sites to reflect potential personnel attacks.
- It is necessary to designate the employees who will receive your phishing email testing, as well as the templates they will receive and the launch date.
What are best practices for how to approach awareness training?
Effective security awareness training places a strong emphasis on involving the current staff in order to lower user risk. Many security awareness training programs flout fundamental educational principles, overloading consumers with information, or worse, teaching them ineffective lessons in isolated sessions.
If training is to be effective, it must be regular, offered in small doses, and customized to the employees’ hectic schedules. Most importantly, humor and encouraging reinforcement work better than fear-based or dry messaging to boost memory of critical security themes.
Why choose security awareness training from Mimecast?
When it comes to influencing employee attitudes and behavior about important security procedures, Mimecast security awareness training is very effective. Added advantages of include:
- Quality material. Our professionally produced, incredibly entertaining cybersecurity awareness training material is created by former television industry veterans with the perspective and know-how of former law enforcement, military, and CISOs.
- Easy to administer. It is simple to manage rules and users for web, email, and awareness training under a single console thanks to Mimecast’s cloud-based platform, Mime|OS.
Critical security awareness training topics
To keep training material current for your users and reflect new security risks your organization encounters, Mimecast Awareness Training frequently releases new training modules. Mimecast delivers weekly shorter trainings based on popular hacks or seasonal scams, as well as speciality topics addressing new data protection legislation, in addition to 12 to 15 training modules on information security themes that are released annually.
Just a few examples of possible topics are as follows:
- Educate personnel about phishing and how to recognize and react to potentially fraudulent emails
- Password security, including advice on choosing strong passwords and avoiding using personal passwords.
- Privacy issues and advice on how to protect the company’s sensitive data as well as that of its customers, partners, and employees.
- HIPAA, PCI, and GDPR compliance are all examples of compliance.
- Insider threat awareness training for employees, including instruction on how to recognize potential internal risks.
- Demonstrating to staff how attackers could impersonate a C-level executive to steal tens of thousands of dollars from the company is the CEO/wire fraud.
Employees can use data in motion to understand how to secure it and how vulnerable it is.
Helping staff members learn the best ways to safeguard paper, workstations, screens, and buildings through office cleanliness.
Additional security awareness training FAQs:
How long does it take to create a curriculum for security awareness training?
The technology and methodology you select will determine how long it takes to develop an IT awareness security program. Mimecast Awareness Training is an online platform that allows for quick deployment and configuration, making it simple to roll out awareness training to a worldwide workforce.
How frequently should security awareness training programs be held?
According to data, employees are much less likely to remember knowledge from a cybersecurity awareness training program if it is held infrequently and takes a significant amount of time. Some cybersecurity training programs involve a significant amount of an employee’s time, which commonly leads to employees tuning out the training and merely going through the motions to check the need off their to-do list. The training for Mimecast Awareness is unique. Our 3- to 5-minute courses are distributed on a monthly basis to make training a regular component of an employee’s duties without becoming overbearing.
How do you raise awareness on cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity awareness is a journey, and you can make cybersecurity everyone’s responsibility by frequently offering enjoyable and informative cybersecurity awareness training to your staff.
How much does a training course in security awareness cost?
Depending on your organization’s size, an efficient security awareness training program will cost different amounts. Mimecast Awareness Training may be implemented by both small and large businesses, as well as global enterprise organizations, for a tiny fraction of what a successful cyberattack would cost a corporation in lost revenue. Mimecast Awareness Training can be integrated into a number of thorough cybersecurity strategies for extra security layers and cost savings.